Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Getting caught up...

I thought of one more rule: save all receipts. Or if I need to send in the receipt for a rebate, make a copy for my records. That way: 1) If I acquire a rebate form later, I may already have fulfilled the requirements and can use a receipt from my collection, 2) I have a copy of receipts in case I need to dispute a rebate that never arrives, 3) I always have the raw data to further analyze my spending, 4) if I were to be accused of shoplifting the stuff I sell at the flea market, I have proof that I "purchased" them all. Unlikely, but hey, you never know.

Here's what I've spent so far this year that falls under the budget:
  • 12/27/08: Acme giftcards (so I could apply for a gift card rebate): -$50.00
  • 1/4/09: Rite Aid (stuff for Single Check Rebate): -$4.21
  • 1/4/09: Superfresh (triple coupon week): -$1.27
  • 1/4/09: Pathmark (triple coupon week): -$0.48
  • 1/6/09: Superfresh (still triples): -$0.33
  • 1/6/09: Pathmark (you got it, triples): -$0.48
  • 1/9/09: CVS: -$0.40
  • 1/9/09: CVS: -$0.23
  • 1/11/09: Kmart (super doubles): -$2.21
In addition, I also made three trips to Walgreens. That spending is "off the books" since it is my existing gift card, but I spent $15.38 total, still have a $5 Register Reward to use later, and will earn $1.65 in rebates ($1.50 for Electrasol plus 10% Walgreens gift card bonus). I also amassed a ton of shampoos and conditioners to sell at the flea market (will add that $ back in when I actually sell them). I have also used $8.20 off my Acme gift card, but I've already accounted for the cost of that gift card (and I have $41.80 left!).

Rebates I have applied for so far:
  • Heineken gift card rebate: $20 minus $1.26 postage, etc = +$18.74 once it comes in
  • Rite Aid SCR: +$7.00 once it comes in
So, in summary, I am in great shape (budgetwise...I could really stand to get more exercise though!). I will calculate a few totals: first, I'll take the most conservative approach to my calculations and not add in my rebate money until I receive it (it's rare, but sometimes they don't come). But to make me feel better, I will also calculate what my total would be if I added pending rebates and my big Acme card balance.

Total spent so far: -$59.61
Left on Acme gift card: +$41.80
Pending rebates: +$25.74
"So it's really like": +$7.93, as in, I haven't touched my $2009 yet! Boo yeah!

No comments:

Post a Comment